Sunday, January 14, 2007

The perserverance of a hack


It's captivating to see the creative expressions of my friends - be it visual arts, writing, music, random mixed-media cornucopia or a combination of all of the above. Whatever the expression of choice may be, it's something that invariably brings me closer to the essential core of who that person is.

While I consider my skills as a visual artist to be that of a complete hack, it seems to beckon continually at the moment. Perhaps I have gotten more disciplined and am able to focus my energies accordingly. Often times it comes down to surrendering to the moment and getting down to business without any expectations.

For the last several months, I have been cranking out pieces with India ink & pastel and experimenting with various paper mediums (Cartiera Magnani 140lb. neutral pH paper takes the cake). Bottom line, I have no idea what the hell I am doing after years of subjecting myself to this sort of creative quagmire - it's more about the unknown journey. The one thing that remains, I'm very perserverant and consistently deliver when the muse says, "Get busy, kid!".

No comments: